Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Jennifer

When was your original diagnosis?
4/2005

When did the cancer return and how?
3/2009. I was scheduled for the second stage of my reconstruction and in the mean time my oncologist ordered a CAT and PET scan because my tumor markers were higher. They ended up canceling my surgery the day before it was scheduled. They told me it spread to my bones, lungs, and liver. I ended up getting my ovaries removed 2 months after that.

How did having the cancer return affect you? (Mentally, physically, emotionally) What changes have been made in your life since the cancer returned, if any?
I have to say cancer has affected my life both times, not just because of the return. I learned to not let anything or anyone stop you from doing anything you want to do. I learned to live in the moment and enjoy life for what it is. I learned to appreciate and love your family and friends and tell them how you feel as often as possible, even more. I try to stay positive and only alow positive people into my life. I have changed many things in my life. I have done more things in my life in the last 3 years then I did for the first 28 years. I experienced life and done things that I always wanted to try. Some of the things I tried were photography, kayaking, cross-country skiing, rock climbing, hiking, snorkeling, singing, swing, latin, and ballroom dancing. I received my reiki master, scuba diving certification, directed 2 plays, and I'm working toward my black belt in Kenpo. I have also traveled more and have been to Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, and Paris among my favorites. I also returned to school for something I have wanted to do almost my whole life. I'm not happy with my current career. I have also become more spiritual and I try to share the lessons I have learned with all my loved ones. I have had a few of my friends and family do things or make changes in their life that I never thought they would do, but always wished they would. They told me I was their inspiration.

Where do you draw your strength from? How do you look at life today?
I draw my strength from myself. I think I am a very strong person. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments. But most of the time I am pretty strong. For the moments that I do get weak, I would probably have to say my boyfriend. He is my inspiration. He lost both his parents in the last 4 years and he always knows the right thing to say to get me out of my depressing moods when I find myself there. I look at life as a learning experience and every day there are lessons to be learnt. If you don't learn those lessons, things will keep happening to you until you do. Once you do learn the lessons, you need to share all you have learned with anyone that will listen. It is also a place to enjoy and appreciate. We will not always be here, but we much enjoy it while we are.

Do you have any advice for others with a recurrence?
You made it through the first time so that means you have the strength and determination to make
it through again. Take one day at a time and still continue to live your life. Don't let this run your life, take control.

Anything else to add?
Love yourself and don't be afraid to tell your loved one's that you love them every day.

1 comment:

RivkA with a capital A said...

Can you connect me with Jennifer --I also dream of getting a scuba diving licencse. I have been looking for information about whether I can do it with the cancer in my bones.